Software Development - Technical Mentor
About Moringa School
Moringa is a multidisciplinary learning accelerator that integrates learners from diverse backgrounds and unites them through their common passions and ambitions to build new skill sets through tech and professional competencies that will distinguish them in the job market
Through experienced technical mentors, a blended learning model, a market and outcomes-driven curriculum, Moringa School’s mission is:- "Building talent and opportunities through transformative tech-based learning experiences"
The school has placed more than 85% of its graduates into leading companies throughout Africa and the world.
Moringa was named one of the ‘Top 10 Most Innovative Companies’ in 2018 by Fast Company and was awarded Financial Times and IFC’s “Finalist - Achievement in Sustainable Development, With a Focus on Education & Skills.
About the job
- Moringa School is in an exciting transition from a primarily Nairobi-based school to an international education organization via rapid growth across Africa and expansion into new course offerings. We are a premier advanced immersive program, training exceptional full-stack and mobile Software Engineers.
- Students train 10+ hours a day, 5 days a week, through 20 weeks in a curriculum focused on computer science fundamentals, frontend skills, and Python/Django or Java/Android.
- The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience building software systems and working well in diverse teams, even in a chaotic environment.
- The Technical Mentor role provides mentorship and supervision necessary to ensure that their students have a 5-star experience and achieve strong outcomes.
- Carry out all TM responsibilities within the classroom
- Facilitate daily standups, laboratory classes
- Lead classroom team to identify, compare, select, and support in implementing new classroom technology and solutions that meet the current and future needs of students and the business
- Support student growth through labs and practice sessions
- Provide timely and effective feedback on student work and assessments
- Support student development through one-on-ones and document notes and next steps from those conversations
- Leads in managing the legacy product and the implementation of pilots and new products
- Support in supervising classroom system infrastructure and help build quality assurance and data protection processes
- Personal professional growth: Moringa is part of your professional journey. It is up to you to decide how you want to grow through that journey and to continuously improve in doing your work using the tools at your disposal.
- Provide logistical support for students to engage in pair programming and study groups
- Support classroom culture and relationship-building with students
- 2+ years experience working, at least 1+ years experience professional coding in languages used in the classroom
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Lots of patience and empathy, ability to work well with and accommodate the needs of other people
- Strong problem-solving abilities to handle complex situations involving many people
- Ability to work with and mentor large, diverse groups of people
- Positive, empathetic, team-player with a systems-mindset
- Ability to multitask and strategically solve diverse problems
- Experience with Ruby and React coding languages (preferred)
- Coding school alumni (preferred)
- Experience teaching, working in education, or program management (preferred)